How We Work With Families
Sound stewardship of private capital is the result of hard work, family cooperation and insistence on high standards and the consistent use of best investment practices. Working with a trusted advisor like Greycourt who has had extensive experience in all aspects of the stewardship process – from tax efficient investing to the appropriate family governance structure – reaps significant benefits for family clients.
Unlike institutional investors, families are incredibly dynamic entities. This force is both the great strength of family investors and also a potentially decisive weakness. It is an important part of Greycourt’s advisory process to marshal families’ dynamism to their advantage. We are often engaged in any or all of the following activities with our family clients:
- We work closely with multiple family members and generations. Individual family members often have very different concerns and issues on their minds, and we want to ensure that your agenda is our agenda.
- We organize educational sessions, either for individual family members or at periodic family meetings. Participants include Greycourt personnel and/or outside experts.
- We help families develop appropriate governance structures. These structures can include a family investment committee (with or without non-family members), a private trust company, a series of family investment partnerships or other arrangements.
- We work closely with the family’s legal, tax, insurance, trust and estate planning advisors to ensure that investment activities are smoothly coordinated with other wealth planning issues.
- We help the family think about the role of philanthropy – giving proactively and thoughtfully, rather than reactively.