“Man is so made that he can only find relaxation from one kind of labor by taking up another.”
– Anatole France
Happy Labor Day Weekend
Hope everyone finds a brief respite from their professional labors by enjoying their recreational ones.
- TAC – Why Bill Watterson Vanished. The creator of Calvin and Hobbes is back, but the mystery is why he disappeared in the first place.
- TheFreePress – A Constitution for Teenage Happiness. Ruby LaRocca—the winner of our high school essay contest—urges her generation to read old books, memorize poems, and invite senior citizens to parties.
- TheRinger – America’s Bee Problem Is an Us Problem. You may have heard America’s honeybees are dying. But what does that mean for the people on the front lines—and what could it mean for what ends up on your plate?
- WSJ – Pass On Your Heirlooms, Not Family Drama
Business & Markets
- WSJ – Rates Are Up. We’re Just Starting to Feel the Heat. Homeowners. Car buyers. Landlords. Big businesses. Here’s who stands to lose—and in some surprising cases, win—as interest rates stay high in the years ahead.
- Greycourt – Apples and Oranges. “Apples & Oranges” explores valuation differences between US stocks (S&P 500) and developed non-US stocks (EAFE) to see if the latter is as cheap as it first appears.
- Conversations With Tyler – Seth Godin on Marketing, Meaning, and the Bibs We Wear. Seth’s thoughtfulness on marketing and life never disappoints.
- BanyanGlobal – Sustaining Entrepreneurial Drive Across Generations
- Counterpoint Global Insights – Birth, Death, and Wealth Creation. Why Investors Need to Understand Corporate Demographics
- WSJ – ‘Look, Muffy, a Book for Us.’ The 1980s Preppy Handbook Is Again a Must-Read. My copy stays by my bedside – “Aspiration and nostalgia have people reaching for an old classic. Socks or no socks with the boat shoes?”
- NYT – ‘None of Us Were Born Looking for a Screen. We Were All Born Looking for a Face.’ How does technology change our understanding of what it is to be human? What assumptions does digital technology carry about what makes a good life?
- TheCut – For Diane von Furstenberg, Writing Her New Book Was Cathartic. I’ve read one of DVF’s books in the past – she has lived a fascinating life – amazing stories.
- FootballMeta – How to Fix a Boring Football Team. Before the arrival of world cup winner Leo messi, inter miami were on a 11 game winless streak, struggling to create chances and generally looking out of synch on a lot of their plays. But just two months later and inter miami are the leagues cup winners, looking like a completely different team